About Me

My photo
London, Glamoursmith, United Kingdom
This blog details my journey from February 2007 through my training and and preperation for what was initially Ironman UK in August 2007. Now having completed my 4th Ironman in 15 months I am preparing for the 2009 season as part of Team Wiggle supported by the fantastic guys at www.wiggle.co.uk

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Welcome to 2008!

Hello,
What a month December was! So hectic with parties, last minute Christmas shopping, packing for Dubai and sorting out replacement contents to my stolen handbag. Dubai was a welcome break and it was so great seeing Ruth.
I was really pleased that I managed to train whilst out there most days and came back slightly heavier due to the excess of Christmas but much fitter thanks to having a gym in Ruth's apartment building. I ran most days for an hour and did weights on top of that. It paid off, I did my first swim session in a few weeks last night and noticed my catch is much stronger on my swim stroke.
Dubai is an amazing place, I loved it, but mainly because Ruth was there. Not sure I would go back if she wasn't there. She put so much time and effort into putting an itinerary together to make sure I got to see all the sights. I absolutely loved the desert safari we did one afternoon / evening where you go out 4x4 driving across the sand dunes. I could appreciate how skilled the drivers are after my years growing up on a farm and having a paddy basher*.
Ruth asked me to play 'touch' football with her, but failed to mention that she trains with men! I got beaten up out there and am still sporting a bruise on my leg after one particularly painful collision with a 6'2" man. I literally bounced off his chest and was seeing stars. I did however manage to score a try, I have the mile reps to thank for being able to take off down the field like I had just stolen something! I have no idea how Ruth plays full contact rugby. Worst part, it ruined my manicure, think I will stick to triathlon which is nail friendly :)
I treated us to a day spa where we were scrubbed, wrapped, cleansed, moisturised and massaged to within an inch of our lives before heading out to relax by the pool and then out to barasti bar for a few drinks in the beach side bar. It is times like those I do wonder if I would ever move back to Australia to lead that kind of life.
Christmas Day and NYE were fantastic with us going to fabulous places including the Yalumba brunch where they serve unlimited Bollinger. It felt soooooo wrong having skulling competitions using Bollinger. NYE we were at the Aviation club, amazing food and they set up a stage and dance floor over the pond separating the Aviation club and the Irish Village where everyone could get out an mingle. Excellent nights.
I got backmid last week but was actually excited about coming home and starting the year. I have some exciting things going on at work and feel really motivated to train hard. I also have a new flat to move into at the end of the month and not to mention a 30th birthday bash! January is going to be as hectic at December it seems.
So, the 2008 sporting goals:
* Run a sub 3:15 marathon in Valencia on 17 Feb
* Run the London marathon in April as an elite (pending qualification at Valencia)
* Win the 135km Dragon cycling race in Wales in June
* Podium place for my age group at Ironman Austria in July and complete the race in sub 10:30 (35min improvement to my PB)
* Win my age group at Ironman Arizona in November, complete the race in sub 10:15 and qualify for the 2009 Ironman World Championships in Hawaii.
Goal for 2009 will be to train like a demon and get a top 5 placing in the world champs!
It isn't going to be an easy year but I am really up for the challenge. I also have to be smarter with the way I train as I won't have as much time to dedicate as there are a few other personal goals I want to achieve this year such as buying a flat.
My TV show went out just before Christmas on Channel 4 and it was great! Lots of me talking about how difficult Ironman is and how tough the race was. Kind of raised all the emotions again I was feeling after the race. Watching it I am not surprised I had nightmares for the 2 weeks following the race! The DVD is available through TriUK http://triuk.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=578&category_id=28&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26
Happy New Year to everyone and enjoy the pictures!
!


 



Carolyn x
* Paddy basher is not some sort of Irish torture but is an old car to bash around the paddock in. One of the great joys of growing up on a farm :)

No comments: