About Me

My photo
London, Glamoursmith, United Kingdom
This blog details my journey from February 2007 through my training and and preperation for what was initially Ironman UK in August 2007. Now having completed my 4th Ironman in 15 months I am preparing for the 2009 season as part of Team Wiggle supported by the fantastic guys at www.wiggle.co.uk

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Italy, India, France, Spain, Austria, Australia

Italy, India, France, Spain, Austria, Australia
It's been a while. Since I last wrote, I have been in all of those countries for anywhere from 2 - 14 days. Well that isn't entirely true, I'm heading to Australia for 2 weeks on Friday. I had my first weekend in London last weekend in over 2 months! It was nice to spend time in my new house and not feel like I was just using it to sleep there!
Lots has been happening so I have broken it into small digestible chunks :)

India. Wow. What a place. I have never experienced traffic like it. Just a small example for you...driving along a motorway heading back into Bangalore after a relaxing Sunday afternoon lounging by a pool, having a massage, nice lunch and we are going back to our hotel in town ready to go back to work the next day. There are 2 lanes each side of the road and a pretty wide grass medium strip in the middle and we are cruising along at around 80km hour enjoying the drive. We go round a sweeping curve in the road and there is a 4x4 coming straight at us. This guy is driving on the wrong side of the motorway!! The worst part, he was madly grinning away to himself probably thinking how clever he was to find a road that everyone was only going 1 way on. Our driver calmly pulls into the left lane to let him past, all of us in the car are totally freaked out by this! Obviously other people have seen him so within minutes we see more people driving towards us so we decide to get off and back into the traffic chocked, much slower suburban roads. We are going down the off ramp almost get taken out by a lorry coming UP the OFF ramp. It is terrifying how those people drive. I left my fingernails embedded in the door of the car. Anyone who has been to India will totally appreciate the 'unique' way that Indians drive.
Other than the crazy driving, India was good. The people are really exceptionally lovely, especially the ones we were working with who made us feel so welcome. I eat maybe 2 curries a year so by day 2 (12 to go!) I was over eating curry. I swear I was starting to turn yellow around the edges by the time I left and it is certainly going to be a while till I have another one! The guys I was travelling with from work were brilliant fun and we ended up getting our own table in the one decent place to eat near the hotel. I can handle really hot food, but was ordering medium spicy each time we went in there and it still had a solid bite on it. I forgot to ask for medium onenight and it came out 'hot'. More like lava. I took a mouthful and my vision actually blurred it was so hot. It was the equivalent of putting a hot coal in your mouth. I immediately broke out in a cold sweat and have never experienced anything like it. I didn't forget again to only order medium :)
After India I went to France for a couple of days for work which was nice bonding time to spend with my new manager and settle into my new role here at AOL. Sad t leave my old team but I am only sitting a few metres away from them :) As with most work trips, you work so hard you only see the hotel, office and the closest restaurant to the hotel. We also got to see a bit more of the airport than I would have cared to when our flight was continuously delayed coming home!
Following France it was Spain to compete in the Valencia marathon. So all of my training had been on a treadmill, and please don't try this at home, I had only done 2 long runs this year. My quads reminded me of that fact when I got to the 28km mark and had to watch the 3.15 pace group disappear into the distance while I tried to ease the agony in my legs. I managed to pull myself together and got home in 3.21, a new personal best. I am pleased with the result given I was on the Jade Goody training plan of very little training and lots of curries.
I would really recommend Valencia to anyone who is thinking of doing a marathon, especially a flat fast one. It is cheap and easy to get there and the race is really well run. They have pace groups and the goody bags are excellent. You end up getting 2 bottles of wine between the pre race pack and the finishers pack. They also have free massage at the end which was exactly what I needed.
So Spain and then Austria for a full filled week of skiing. I was being called Bambi on Ice for the first day as the quads reminded me that they needed a little bit more recovery time before having to support me showing off on a ski slope. At the bottom of every run I was shaking and quivering like a new born foal. My non fitness friends were loving it, especially Antoinette who was pleased to finally be better than me at a sport. For the record (and this will test if she has been reading my blog) Antoinette, you are an excellent skier and one of the more graceful people on the slopes.
We were lucky that we didn't have any skiing related injuries, only drinking ones. 1 girl slipped in the shower and had a huge bruise on her shin, another got drunk and managed to head butt the end of the bed and ended up with quite an impressive black eye. Her work colleagues were either to scared to ask or think she has a penchant for purple eye shadow :)
Fantastic group out in Austria and we stayed in Hotel Hannes in Niederau where we were really well looked after. The food was excellent and plenty of it which was exactly what you wanted after a day on the slopes.
This Friday I am off to Australia for a couple of weeks to see my family and meet my niece Bellah. Can't wait! I am planning on being with Mum and Dad in Peak Hill most of the time and a friend who is a pilot is going to fly up and see me. No doubt that will be the talk of the very small town. I head back to Sydney and then up to the Central Coast, North of Sydney, to visit my Aunty Cheryl and a friend who has just had a baby. Back to Sydney to stay with Antoinette's parents and then head back. Should be a fun trip, Antoinette and I are on the same flights out and back. I am looking forward to doing some quality training and swimming in a 50m pool! My coach has set me a really swim heavy programme for this month to take advantage of that.
That's it! I'm trying to finalise my 2008 race schedule and so far it is looking like I have around 20 races so it is going to be a busy one. This is the year I really want to get some good results across all 3 triathlon disciplines but really want to make solid improvements to my swim and bike. The run comes naturally, so not too concerned about that.
Hope everyone is well and as always, thanks for checking out my blog!
Carolyn x

No comments: