About Me

My photo
London, Glamoursmith, United Kingdom
This blog details my journey from February 2007 through my training and and preperation for what was initially Ironman UK in August 2007. Now having completed my 4th Ironman in 15 months I am preparing for the 2009 season as part of Team Wiggle supported by the fantastic guys at www.wiggle.co.uk

Thursday, August 7, 2008

London Olympic Triathlon

The London Triathlon is almost upon us! Is it wrong that I am feeling almost more nervous and wound up about this race than I was for Ironman Austria? It is a little baby olympic race and a walk in the park compared to Ironman!!

I think the problem lies in the fact that I have The Flying Dutchman coming AND also Terry (my coach). It will be the first time either of them have seen me race so I want to make it a good one. Anyone who has been following this blog or knows me understands how much I hate doing Olympic distance races. My body hates being at the max for 2 hours and 20 mins whilst I drag myself around 1500m swimming, 40km bike and a 10km run. My heart rate through the roof and me asking myself what exactly is it I enjoy about this sport. I would much rather be out there for 10 or 11 hours at a steady pace doing an ironman :) Anyway, I do them because it helps me get faster in transition and makes me ensure I don't neglect my speed work, oh... and it makes me love Ironman even more (if that is possible!).

Ironman Austria was for me and I loved every minute of it (except when I cracked the sads on the run for a few km's) but this one is going to be tough because there are expectations. I expect to finish under 2:20. Last year I managed 2:20:59 and that got me 4th in my age group. I'm in the 30 - 34 age group now and the girls are a bit tougher to beat! I also know that the ironman excluded, my results have been slightly slower this year than last year and that concerns me. This year has to be about IM Arizona and I do focus on that as my main goal but there is always that niggling thought. What if I am not capable of going faster?

My swim has improved but I am not as fit as I have been in the past so I am expecting a slower run. I am hoping that what I save in the swim balances out with the run but I also want a faster bike time. Last year was 1:02:51 and I would love to crack that 1 hour mark, only problem is it will hurt me on the run if I do that, I will see how I go. I can't help getting caught up in the crowds so no doubt I will do something silly like cane it and then wonder where my run legs are. Thankfully it is a flat easy course.
My estimated splits are
28 min swim
3:30 T1
1:02 bike
1:30 T2
43:00 Run
If I can manage that I will come in at 2:18 and that would make me VERY happy. I will have a big wet sweaty hug ready for TFD. I'm sure he will love that! I have to get him in training for what it is going to be like when he comes with me to Ironman Arizona in November. He is so into this whole triathlon thing, it is so cool to finally have a boyfriend who not only understands but encourages me to train!

TFD and I are kind of out of sync at the moment because I have been tapering for London this last week and he is ramping up for his cycling trip through the Pyrenees at the end of the month. Bad timing as this weekend is the first weekend in 2 months we have together in London and he really needs to train tomorrow morning, which I fully support and there is no way he is getting out of doing the sessions.

We went for a drink last night with Aoife and Kate, 2 of the girls I went skiing with earlier this year. Aoife is based here and Kate in Dubai (incidently Kate learnt to ski in Ski Dubai before hitting the Austrian slopes) Lovely evening and then TFD and I went off to Roast for dinner in Borough Market. Fabulous food. Not as good as Chez Kristoff which is officially the best meal I have had in years.

So, I will post how I go at London. I set off at 12:10 on Sunday. Race number 6687. Another speedy number I am sure ;)
Cxx

1 comment:

Life of Lynne said...

Good Luck Carolyn. Race Strong. Race Safe. Still inspirational stuff