About Me

My photo
London, Glamoursmith, United Kingdom
This blog details my journey from February 2007 through my training and and preperation for what was initially Ironman UK in August 2007. Now having completed my 4th Ironman in 15 months I am preparing for the 2009 season as part of Team Wiggle supported by the fantastic guys at www.wiggle.co.uk

Thursday, May 28, 2009

1st Triathlon...1st Place

1st Tri...1st place!

As mentioned in my last post, I had signed up to do the 220 Dorney Lake Evening Triathlon. This was going to be my first triathlon of the season and I was really looking forward to it. I am very pleased to say that not only did I have a great time, I managed to win!

Dorney Lake is easy and fast for me to get to, it's a short train ride from Paddington to Slough and then I cycle the 5 or so miles out to the lake for a 7:30pm start. I was one of the last ones into the water and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't freezing. We set off for the 750m swim and I went out fast to try and find some nice big feet for me to draft off. It didn't quite happen like that and I lost the front pack within the first few minutes and ended up doing most of the race on my own between the faster group and ahead of the 2nd pack. I had done a very hard 4km set in the pool Tuesday night with Terry so my arms were tired and were not willing to co-operate. My stroke was disintegrating so I decided not to push it too hard and just settle into my Olympic distance race pace and make it up on the bike.

Into T2 which was just a joke because I managed to get stuck in my wetsuit. I had pulled it down at the front running into T1 and started peeling it off my arms when it got stuck on both arms and I couldn't move. I really was Team Wiggle trying to get myself out of it! At one point I actually considered riding my bike wearing my wetsuit as it was not budging. I am sure it provided some entertainment for the spectators seeing me squirm about. Lesson learnt: don't forget the wetsuit lube! Once finally free of the sticky suit I leapt onto the Focus Izalco Chrono and started the 5 laps, a total of 20km, along the side of the lake.

Dorney Lake is a purpose built rowing lake out near Eton and will host the 2012 Olympic rowing events. It makes for a great traffic free race with smooth paths along the side of the lake. Of course you are then confined to doing laps, but hey, a sprint distance race isn't about enjoying the scenery.

The bike leg went very fast and I managed to rein in all of the girls to get into 1st place. It was very windy out there which actually worked to my advantage. The Dutchman and I have spent the past few months tinkering with the Focus Izalco Chrono so I am as aerodynamic as possible. I have also been doing quite a lot of training on the bike to really get to know the gears and what works best. Last night I felt like I was slipping under the wind and it didn't feel like a hard effort. The twice weekly Regents Park intervals are paying off!

I did a quick T2 quickly slipping into my new Pear Izumi running shoes I received last week (thanks Pearl Izumi & Wiggle!!). The great thing about them is they don't have any seams which means no socks. In previous races I always had to put socks on because of problems with blisters but last night I was out of transition super fast.

I decided to put the hammer down early and try and open up a gap on the run to give myself some breathing space in case it went wrong later in the race. It was a 2 lap course for 5km and the wind was really blowing. I wasn't really over taking many people but felt like I was running strong. On the way home on the 2nd lap I tried to put a bit more pace in and managed a slight increase in speed. I had seen a few of the girls at the turn around points but was confident that I had enough of a lead that they wouldn't catch me so I reverted back to my original target of going under 1:15. I finished strong and was pleased to be home in 1:14:33 nabbing 1st place by a 90 sec gap. I have a £50 voucher and some new goggles to show for it so not bad at all for a bit of mid week action.

Happy training and more after this weekend 100 mile challenge in the Chilterns.
Cx

No comments: