About Me

My photo
London, Glamoursmith, United Kingdom
This blog details my journey from February 2007 through my training and and preperation for what was initially Ironman UK in August 2007. Now having completed my 4th Ironman in 15 months I am preparing for the 2009 season as part of Team Wiggle supported by the fantastic guys at www.wiggle.co.uk

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Day 1 - Buying a bike - 04 February 2007

04 February 2007
23:40:00 o'clock GMT Hearing Snow Patrol
Day 1 - Buying a bike - Carolyn Hewett
I have decided to keep a blog to track the journey that I am going to be taking to get my butt over the finish line on 19 Aug 2007 at Sherborne Castle ironman. I am under no illusion that it is going to be a tough one, but I figure if I am going to give up my life (and booze) for 7 months than I want to win my age group.
Ironman is 3.8km swim, 180km cycle and a 42km (marathon) run. I hope that this blog will also be useful to my friends and family who are not going to see me for the next 7 months so I can train to survive this thing! :)
I have never done an ironman before, but I like to do crazy races, and this fits right into that category! Last weekend I completed Tough Guy and still have the bruises to prove it! Tough Guy is a 15km cross country run then 26 obstacles including one that is electrified, another that is on fire, you have to swim under a bridge, swim through a lake and lots of climbing and mud. See some video... http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=93275B762D7BDD44
I went bike shopping today for a new bike after my beloved Claud (previous bike I spent a lot of time on) was buried in France last summer after a disasterous accident with a plane (him not me). Man, there are so many bikes out there and you can end up spending so much money on a bike. I doubt I am going to get out of this for under £1k, but I figure it is an investment if I am going to be spending around 10+ hours a week on it. I went to 4 different bike shops and the good news is they all pretty much said the same thing. I did meet a former German cycling champion (cute as well!) who thought I should spend £2k on a bike! Not likely pal...anyway...I have ordered in a Trek and a Secialized so I can test the difference. Lets see what happens.
The ironic thing is you spend £1k and you don't even get pedals with that!! I am definitely negotiating free pedals and free shoes!!
Went running and swimming tonight. Ran for 45 then swam for 30 mins. Should have done more as I am in the first phase of my training where I am getting my body used todoing more exercise than normal. Up until now I have been running for around 4-6 hours a week but January was both lazy and fat so I have to drop some weight and pick up the pace.
I really hate swimming. It is my weakest leg so I know I have to work hard on it and I will. Lots of time in the yucky pool :) There are lots of old hairy men there who really don't help with the motivation to go to the pool.
Corinna (my wonderful flatmate) is making me watch a bizarre documentary on a woman who gave birth to a child that had 'solidified' and turned to stone in her abdomen after 50 years. gross. so gross.
On that note...I am going to bed. Gnight!

No comments: