About Me

My photo
London, Glamoursmith, United Kingdom
This blog details my journey from February 2007 through my training and and preperation for what was initially Ironman UK in August 2007. Now having completed my 4th Ironman in 15 months I am preparing for the 2009 season as part of Team Wiggle supported by the fantastic guys at www.wiggle.co.uk

Friday, October 12, 2007

Kona Day 3 Friday 12th October

Friday 12th October
Up at 4.30 and Sam put Matilda together so I could cycle down to the swim. I got a flat which was lucky as I had managed to get the wrong CO2 cartridges, better to know now!

The camera crew were waiting for me and filmed Chris and I getting into the water.

Everyone was meeting down there for a swim out to the Coffee’s of Hawaii catamaran moored about 700m offshore serving, you guessed it, coffee! Quite a novelty. I didn’t partake myself. Chris and I swam quite a way out and it gave me some real confidence for the swim. There was a bit of a swell but nothing too severe. The water was really warm and it was so lovely that you could see the coral and lots of fish below you. Visibility was excellent and I could see the bottom the entire time, even when we were out quite deep.

Swam back in and got filmed exiting the water and then another brief interview. Can’t believe I am going to be on national TV in a bikini. Scary.

I cycled back to the hotel to do a final check on my transition bags, as I had to check everything in that afternoon. Had a rest and more to eat and packed everything up. I was feeling sick so was finding it difficult to eat. I think I was jetlagged.

My plan was to wear a Zoot suit that borders on legal as wetsuits are banned in the Kona race. Wetsuits of course give you buoyancy and make the water flow over your body more smoothly reducing drag because of the surface. The zoot suit is sleeveless and short and thinner than a wetsuit but does much the same thing. I did hear rumours that race organisers are going to ban them next year.

I cycled down form the hotel and checked in, it was daunting to see some of the bikes there. Amazing. Some people really do live and breathe triathlon. I have never seen such a collection of fit people in my life. Made me feel like a complete blob next to some of these complete muscle bound girls with 6 packs and rippling muscles.

Bike checked in and having walked the transition area I caught a cab back to the hotel for some more rest and eating. The heat was causing alarm bells to ring in my head but as there was nothing I could do about them I decided to ignore them.

I went to bed around 7:30 but couldn't really sleep.

No comments: