About Me

My photo
London, Glamoursmith, United Kingdom
This blog details my journey from February 2007 through my training and and preperation for what was initially Ironman UK in August 2007. Now having completed my 4th Ironman in 15 months I am preparing for the 2009 season as part of Team Wiggle supported by the fantastic guys at www.wiggle.co.uk

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

7 MORE SLEEPS!!!!! 03 October 2007

So I have been working on my plans for the race which is really starting to get me fired up!! I am definitely getting into the zone as Sam calls it :) The zone for me is somewhere that I really get centred and focused on my race and I visualise all the things I am going to do and how I am going to absolutely kick butt and meet all of my race day goals.

We fly out next Wednesday, so a week to go! I had the film crew in here on Monday filming me at my desk which was great, they just asked lots of questions around how I got into triathlon and how I manage a busy work and training schedule. The presenter, Rob Walker, is very good, made me feel very relaxed. I checked out his website, he has done some cool things! http://www.robwalkertv.com/

Sam and I are meeting them tomorrow to do some cycling. Sam freaked out when I told him that he would have to be on national TV in lycra hee hee hee!

Apparently it is a beautiful 30 degrees every day in Kona at the moment, so the acclimatisation is going to be interesting! Corinna, Antoinette, Sam and I or CASC as I have started calling us have a gruelling 22 hour flight with a stop over in San Francisco to get there. I am really worried about my ankles and legs swelling up, it always happens when I fly so I am committed to stretching every hour on the flight and moving around.

Leanne has kindly put together a map showing where each of us are staying, each with our own TV show that has been filmed in Hawaii. Maybe I should think about getting my hair cut short? :) So Baywatch Hawaii is James & Kaisha, Magnum PI is Steve, Fantasy Island is Leanne and Dan and Hawaii 5-O is CASC. As Leanne pointed out if anyone complains, it could have been worse. Godzilla and Jurassic Park were also filmed there :)

My aim this time is to race for myself and not have to be picking off other competitors. I have 3 main goals:
1) Complete the race in sub 10:50 - this means a 15 min improvement on my qualifying time
2) Run a sub 3:25 marathon - this is a 5 min improvement on my IMUK time. As it stands at the moment, I have the fastest marathon qualifying time in my age group and ideally I want to have the fastest run time on the day.
3) Secure a top 20 place in my age group

Saying that, my race plan actually has me finishing in 10:38. The distances are the standard IM distance, 3.8km swim, 180km bike and a marathon, or 42.2 kms. I have an advantage in that the IMUK course is considered one of the most difficult ones to qualify on because it is so hilly, each one is difficult for different reasons and Kona is going to be tough because of the winds coming in off the lava fields and a combination of the heat and humidity. I am really going to be calling on my body to remember all that run training I used to do in the heat in Australia. The breakdown of my race is as follows:

Swim 1:20
T1 5 min
Bike 5:45
T2 3 min
Run 3:25
Total time 10.38

The race starts at 7am Hawaiian time, or 6pm UK time or 3am Sydney time on Saturday 13th October. I am sure you have better things to do on a Saturday night/morning, however if you really wanted to you could check out the action online at http://www.ironmanlive.com/ and http://www.ironman.com/

No comments: